Entry-Level Occupational Competencies for Dr. TCM
- Entry-Level Occupational Competencies for the Doctor of TCM
- Entry-Level Occupational Competencies, Performance Indicators and Assessment Blueprint for the Doctor of TCM
The Entry-Level Occupational Competencies for the Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine 2014 (“the Competencies”) were developed by the College over the period 2013-2014. The competencies are based on and exceeds the Entry-level Occupational Competencies for the Practice of TCM in Canada 2010 developed by the Canadian Alliance of Regulatory Bodies for Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists (CARB-TCMPA) and are intended to identify the job tasks in which registrants holding the reserved title of Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Dr.TCM) should be proficient in order to provide a safe, effective and ethical practice.
The Table of Specifications (Blueprint) for the Dr. TCM registration examinations is based on the Competencies.
The curriculum of TCM schools in British Columbia listed in Schedule H of the Bylaws are based on the Competencies and on Schedule E of the Bylaws.
The Competencies were developed by an Expert Committee under the guidance of the project consultant. The primary steps in the development process were:
- Competency development. The Expert Committee undertook 3 2-day meetings to develop proposed competencies.
- Competency validation. An online, bilingual (English-Chinese) survey available to all Dr.TCM registrants was used to validate the competencies.
- Indicator development. A sub-group of the Expert Committee worked with the consultant to develop proposed indicators.
- Indicator validation. An online survey available to all six recognized Dr.TCM education/training programs in BC was used validate the indicators.
- Preparation of the assessment blueprint. The Examination Development Team (EDT) reviewed and adjusted the indicators for the registration examination.
Special thanks are extended to participants in the surveys and the consultations for development of the Competencies. The high quality of guidance provided by the project consultant, Catalysis Consulting is recognized and appreciated by all involved in this project.