All applicants applying for registration with the College must successfully complete either the Safety Examination (until it retires) or the Interactive Safety Course. Please refer to the Registration section of the website for the examination required to register for each registration title.
Please note that applying for the Safety Examination is different and separate from the application for the Interactive Safety Course. Please be clear whether you would like to take the Exam or the Interactive Course, and follow the application procedure accordingly. (For applying for the Interactive Safety Course, please click HERE)
(2022-04-11): New Announcement – Discontinuation of Dr.TCM Safety Exam
(2021-08-25): Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, many examination / assessment centres remain closed for external bookings to take the CTCMA Safety Exam(s) at their facilities. The CTCMA Safety Examination at this time is mostly offered as an Online Exam with Remote Proctoring.
Remote Proctored Examination
Currently, there are two assessment centres that can provide Zoom Online Remote Proctoring for candidates to take the CTCMA Safety Exam(s). This remote proctored examination format allows applicants to write the Safety Examinations safely and conveniently without travelling or commuting during the Covid-19 pandemic. The two assessment centres that have CTCMA approved online remote proctors (invigilators) are:
445 Vancouver Island University ([email protected])
443 Selkirk College ([email protected])
The Safety Invigilation Fee (proctor fee) at Selkirk College is $50.00
Booking Information, Schedule & Payment, please click HERE. English speaking Proctor.
Please bring a translator for first 10 minutes to get you onto your exam.
Please see Tips for Taking Online CTCMA Safety Exam with Remote Proctoring for further information.
In-Person Examination at Testing Center
Currently British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT) is offering in-person examination at testing centers starting from Monday, September 13, 2021. The two testing centers that have CTCMA approved invigilators are:
Tuesday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturdays: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Downtown Vancouver Campus: [email protected]
Monday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Booking information, exam sessions and how applicants can register, please click External Student
The procedure to apply for the Safety Examination is as follow:
Important Note: To apply for the Safety Examination online, you are required to have a registration/application/file number with CTCMA. Please email [email protected] with a government issued Photo ID scan attached to have an account setup with CTCMA first before applying for the Safety Examination.
Step 1 – Choose Approved Invigilator and Intended Examination Date
- Contact an approved Invigilator (Recommended to be 3 weeks in advance of the proposed examination date) to see if there is availability to do so. Make sure to be familiar with the invigilator’s fee schedule and booking policies (e.g. cancellation, booking changes). Invigilation fee can vary between various institutions;
Step 2 – Complete Online Application Form and Payment
- Once an examination session availability is confirmed with an approved invigilator, complete the Online Application Form. Make sure to input the correct information for the invigilator, the examination to write, your information, and enter the intended exam date (3 weeks after the application date) as discussed with the invigilator;
- A confirmation receipt for your online application including the payment links for Safety Examinations with detailed instructions will become available once your application is successfully submitted;
- Choose the correct payment link for the Safety Examination that you are applying for and make the payment online following the detailed instructions to complete your application. A payment receipt will be sent to your email box immediately.
Step 3 – Contact CTCMA by Email or Fax
- Print out/Screenshot the confirmation receipt and the payment receipt and email to [email protected] by PDF or fax to 604-357-1963;
- Your application will begin to be processed after receipt of the confirmation receipt and the payment receipt;
- You may check your updated application status through Registrant Portal.
Step 4 – Finalize with Approved Invigilator
- Once application is approved, an email will be sent to you and your choice of the invigilator (or institution). Make payment directly to the invigilator (or institution) for the invigilation fee.
**If you have special accommodation, please contact the invigilator and administration in advance.
Safety Examination Guide
The Safety Examination Guide contains detailed information about the policies, procedures for the Examination, including examination format, scoring, passing grades, and application process.
Safety Examination for Acupuncturists (R.Ac.) and TCM Herbalists (R.TCM.H.)
The Safety Examinations for Acupuncturist and TCM Herbalists are based on the:
Safety Examination for Acupuncturists (R.Ac.) and TCM Herbalists (R.TCM.H.) Accommodation
Candidates with a disability who requires examination accommodations must submit a request for consideration (in writing, signed, dated, and enclosed with supporting documentation) to the College at least twenty (20) business days prior to their anticipated examination write date.
Safety Examination for Doctor of TCM – Discontinued
Safety Examinations Fee Chart
Tips for Taking Online CTCMA Safety Exam with Remote Proctoring
Candidates will need to make sure that their computer workstations and browsers to be used for the exam can have Zoom Software loaded and running during the examination session. Candidate’s computer must have video (webcam), audio, and microphone capabilities so that the remote proctor (invigilator) can see and hear what the candidate is doing during the examination session. The candidates can also talk to the remote proctor during the exam session by using the computer’s microphone. There are video tutorials and support documents to help for setup issues (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us). Candidates can test their internet connection and computer setup by joining a test meeting (https://zoom.us/test) well before their actual exam session.
On exam date, connect to the online remote proctor by following the Exam Procedure provided in the confirmation email from your online proctor. Your online proctor will guide you to set up your computer for your examination. Examination countdown timer will not start until you are actually starting to work on examination questions. If anything is unclear with your arrangement for your online proctor, please reach out to them directly for assistance.