Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Registrants FAQ
What happens if I want to transfer to another TCM school?

Your student registration is portable (no transfer fee) if you transfer to a different school.

You are required to submit a School Transfer form and a Confirmation Form of Education Standing with a photo to CTCMA before you transfer to another school. After your application is approved by CTCMA, a new student badge will be mailed to you.

How long should I keep the patient files?

In pursuant to s. 83 (2) of the Bylaws, personal information must be retained for a period of at least 10 years.

Do I need to purchase professional liability insurance?

All practicing and non-practicing registrants must have valid Professional Liability Insurance satisfied the section 60.2. of the Bylaws.  One of the insurance providers is University Insurance Brokers.

Why do I need to redo a criminal record check?

The Criminal Records Review Act requires that all current registrants complete a criminal record review at least once every five years.

How can I obtain information on Medical Service Plan (MSP) Coverage?

Please contact MSP directly at 604-456-6950 or 1-866-456-6950. You might need your initial registration date to register for MSP; the date is printed on the first certificate you received from the College.

I will not be practising for the next few years, what should I do?

You can apply to change your registration status to non-practising, please refer to the page on Change of registration Status for detailed information.

How can I get my registration certificate?

You can pick up the certificate from the College’s office or request that the College courier the certificate to you. Please refer to the Policy on Registration Certificate for further information.

Can I use the title “Doctor” or “Dr” in my advertisements?

Only a doctor of traditional Chinese medicine may use the title “doctor of traditional Chinese medicine” (Dr. TCM). An acupuncturist, TCM herbalist, TCM practitioner or student may not use the title “doctor” unless the title “doctor” is used in a manner authorized by another enactment that regulates a health profession, or the title “doctor” is used as an academic or educational designation that you are entitled to use.

What do I have to do to prove that I am compliant with the renewal requirements?

You are required to maintain a registrant file in your record keeping system and to keep the record for 7 years.

For continuing education activities, you should maintain a file which contains details of programs attended, such as receipts, certificates, brochures, course descriptions, handouts, and the Continuing Education Activities log.

For patient visits record, you should keep a log sheet which contains patient names, dates of visit, chief complaint and contact information.

When is the annual registration renewal deadline?

The annual renewal deadline is March 31.

If you do not meet the deadline, your registration will be cancelled on April 1st . When your registration is cancelled, you are no longer permitted (by law) to practice TCM and acupuncture in British Columbia or to represent yourself as “registered” or to use the titles granted by the College.

Still have a question?

Navigate to our contact page to find our contact information and office hours.