Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Registration FAQ
What is the processing time for my registration application?

The registration application processing time normally will be within 8 weeks from the date the College receives a fully completed application including all the required documents (with up-to date information) and fees. Additional time might be needed if the application needs extra time for investigation and determination on complicated applications.

During the Renewal Period (February to April of each year), registration applications for initial registration, status transfer, and reinstatement may take longer time to process, potentially 8-12 weeks. Anyone who intend to submit such application is encouraged to ensure their fully completed applications are received by our office before the Renewal Period begins; or they can renew first and then submit their applications after (only except for those who wish to transfer from Practicing status to Non-practising status). Renewal deadline is required to be met in order to stay registered with the College.

I just submitted my initial registration application. Can I start practicing?

You cannot practice until you receive the formal approval letter from the College and have current liability insurance.

Can a practitioner from another country apply for registration through reciprocity?

No, reciprocity registration is only available for practitioners from another Canadian province that regulates TCM provincially.

When should I register with the College as a student registrant?

You are eligible to apply for student registration as soon as you are accepted as a student in a TCM education program in BC.

You must be a student registrant before attending clinics and observing or delivering patient care. Students attending an education program in BC must be registered with the College as student registrants before beginning clinical practice including clinical observation. In pursuant to s. 51(2) of the Bylaws, practicing without student registration is illegal.

Are TCM education program in British Columbia accredited by the College?

No. Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) regulates private training institutions including TCM programs in British Columbia. PTIB provides consumer protection to students attending private post-secondary programs.
A College “recognized” education program meets the requirements outlined in Schedule E of the Bylaws in order for students and graduates to be eligible for registration with the College. A list of recognized education programs is listed under Schedule H of the Bylaws.

What is the two-years of liberal arts or sciences study requirement?

The two-years of liberal arts or sciences study requirement is set out under section 48(1)(a.1) of the CTCMA bylaws.



two (2) years of liberal arts or sciences study (comprised of at least 60 credits)

  • Academic courses normally contained in the first two year study towards a general bachelor’s degree
  • Vocational courses
  • Block transfer to a special purpose diploma/degree

In an accredited college or chartered/approved university

  • Accredited/authorized by jurisdiction’s regulatory authority
  • Non-accredited

acceptable to the registration committee

  • College or university with authority to confer bachelor’s degrees


applicants who completed education outside Canada. Credential Evaluation Report (ICES)

  • Academic courses in liberal arts or sciences study which are “considered generally comparable to the completion of the first two years of undergraduate study”
  • Applied or trade or non-academic courses which are “considered generally comparable to the completion of the first two years of post-secondary study (two-year advanced diploma)”

Still have a question?

Navigate to our contact page to find our contact information and office hours.